Day Twenty: Letting Go

July 20, 2015.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11

That verse has been one of my favorite for the past several years. I love the promise that God gives us; the feeling of security in Him. I know what He says and I know His word is true. But KNOWING and BELIEVING are two different things. When you know what the next step in life is, its easy to not doubt God's plan for your life. But when you're like me... lost at a cross road with no help from Siri to tell you the next way to go... it's hard. Here I am almost 22, I've gone to Cosmetology School and got my license and I have worked retail for almost 2 years. I just want to know "What's next?"

What does God want to use me for? How can I best live for Him?

Through the past twenty days I have come to some conclusions and realized a lot about myself. I am selfish. I am a shopaholic. And I am lost. I am lost because I am walking blind through this world. God says in John 12:35, "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life." It says it right there! If I follow God, I will NOT be lost in darkness but God will light the way. Why is something that simple so hard? Its because we think this is OUR life. We want to do what we want to do. We "have" to be in control of our own lives. But all that is wrong. This is not our life. God says in 1 Corinthians 6:19b-20, "You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." We are God's. This is HIS life. We have to let HIM be in control. We have to let go of everything holding us back from complete surrender to God.

Letting go is extremely hard. For some it might be letting go of a job that's consuming your life and keeping you from your family and your relationship with God. Others it may be letting go of drugs or alcohol that are clouding your passion for life outside of yourself. Or even letting go of a shopping addiction that you have because you think it'll bring you contentment but really it just depletes your bank account causing more stress than before. For me I have to let go of my future. I have to do what God wants me to do. That is the only way for true joy in this life. I know the past 3 years I have not been following what God wanted me to do. I've been searching for what will make me happy but not what will make Him happy.

I give my future to you God. You know what is best for my life. Whatever path you lead me on, I will follow.

Let go and let God.

Ephesians 4:22-24
put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
 

Comments

Popular Posts