Day Eleven: My gods and addictions

July 11, 2015.

In the book I've been reading, gods at war by Kyle Idelman, he talks about how there are 4 categories of gods in this world. They are: gods of our fathers, gods of our past, gods of our culture, and the one true God. I think the gods of our culture are most prevalent in the lives of people my age. We get so submerged into the things of this world. We want to become our own person so we turn from the gods of our parents and the gods of our past and we focus on finding "us" by searching and trying things of this world, we turn to the gods of our culture. We search in materialistic things, in technology, in sciences... I've been so guilty of this too.

My focus for the past 2 years has been on materialistic things. I've wanted the newest clothes. I've followed the newest trends and styles and made them my own and I could never have enough shoes or accessories. I was always buying something new; I have so many clothes (some I've only worn one time.) My family would joke about me being a shopaholic. But I honestly think they were right. The high I would get when finding a new top or pants that were at just an unbeatable price, became my drug. I needed to shop and buy things to make me happy. I used it to fill the void in my life. I let shopping become my god.

Not shopping on this cleanse has been the hardest part. I have  not given my god and addiction the attention it's used to and I've had to lean on the true God to give me the strength. In Philippians 4:13, it says, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." With out Him I could not have done it. It's actually gotten easier. Whatever god you let control your life, with God's help you can overcome it. Without God being in control of your life you won't be happy! You HAVE to give EVERYTHING to Him. Fully surrender your life to Him and turn away from the gods of this world.

One of my favorite verses is Romans 12:2, which says: "Do not conform to the patter of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of you mind." We have to stand out in the crowd and not just go with the flow. That's what my generation is so good at "going with the flow" and "doing what everyone else is doing". We think we are being different and being our own person but we really are just giving into peer pressure and doing what everyone else is doing. All it takes is one person to stand up and do the right thing. You might feel like you are out there by yourself but you aren't. God is always there with you and once you take that stand you won't be alone. Just let go and take that stand. Never be afraid to be you- the YOU God wants you to be.

Colossians 3:2, 9b-10
"Set your minds on things above, not earthly things.  ...since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator."

Comments

Popular Posts