Day Twelve: Give me Words

July 12, 2015.

Something happened today that's never happened to me before. I was asked a question about my beliefs. It wasn't an easier question like  "Who is God's son?" or even "Where are you going when you die?" I was asked about the trinity - God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. I was asked if I believed in it. Which I do! That was the easy part. But they didn't believe... They even said the trinity didn't make sense to them according to what the Bible teaches. I honestly had no idea what to say. 1.) I was caught off guard and 2.) I realized I don't really know why I believe some of the things I believe.

The conversation didn't last long, but long enough for me to feel embarrassed by my lack of knowledge and understanding. Thankfully this conversation was via text, it gave me time on my break to gather my thoughts. Which still didn't do much good. I know the stories of the Bible and the basics but as for the deeper things, I know nothing. It wasn't just knowledge that kept me from replying right away, but also fear. Fear of saying the wrong thing or making myself look like an idiot for not knowing about something I believe in. My pastor said something today that really helped me. He said, "Faith is greater than your Fear." Well at least it should be. But mine wasn't. Not for this anyway. I let my fear start to cripple me. 

Looking back at the events of the day a story came to mind. A story of Moses and his fear. In Exodus 4:10 Moses says, "Oh Lord, I have never been eloquent neither in the past not since you have spoken to your servant, I am slow of speech and tongue." That is exactly how I felt! God chose Moses to lead His people out of Egypt but Moses was afraid. He gave excuses to God why he couldn't do it... why he wasn't the best man for the job. But God replied to Moses in verse 11-12, saying: "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and teach you what to say." Who am I to not do what God wants me to do? He wants us to share our faith and here I am afraid of what to say. But just like Moses He will give me the words to say. Just like Moses He will speak through me. I just have to be willing and open to God's will for my life.

Today was a bit of an eye opener for me. We ended the conversation with plans to talk about it again. My prayer is that next time I will speak with more direction and confidence. I want to be passionate about God and His Word but I can't be afraid to talk about. I need to learn and really study God's Word so I can be prepared next time a conversation like this happens. And it will. It's not an IF it's a WHEN. I just have to make sure I am ready and not afraid; because God will always give me the strength and the words to say.  

Psalm 56:3-4
"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"

Comments

Popular Posts