Day Two: Making the Most of Every Opportunity

July 2, 2015.

Today was not much easier. Especially when it came time for my break at work. I sat there in Macy's breakroom listening to worship music while reading in the book of Ephesians. I read chapter 4 and 5. It was going really well too until HE walked in. (HE as in the cutest guy I have ever seen in real life.) Talk about distractions! Satan is not making this easy for me. Through the urges of wanting to talk to him and honestly just stare at him, I read these verses, 5:15-17 "Be careful, then, how you live-- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."  Making the most of every opportunity. That is what stuck out to me. Do I make every moment count? Does everything I do reflect Christ's actions?

Although I didn't struggle as much today, I still had some moments that I wanted to cave in... like when I took my sister downtown to spend some time with her for her birthday. Walking into one of my favorite stores (TJMaxx) knowing that I couldn't buy anything for myself was so hard. Talk about torture?! I still found myself walking up and down the aisles dreaming of buying a new pair of shoes, that black and white striped midi skirt (that was literally calling my name), and imaging how some of the home décor would look in my room. I threw myself in that temptation and God helped me (as well as my sister) not to buy a single thing in there for myself. That may seem like a small thing but for me it is a huge accomplishment.

While we were walking around the circle and to Circle Centre Mall we noticed several homeless and/or underprivileged individuals. Here I was drinking my Starbucks with my designer handbag on my arm thinking my life was hard. Talk about a humbling situation. Some of these people have nothing to there name but the clothes on their back. It just breaks my heart. As we were leaving TJMaxx I saw this gentlemen that I've seen numerous of times over the past year. I was hoping I would get to see him again today. He is an older "fluffy" African American with crooked teeth but a smile that just warms your heart. He stands under the Arts Garden selling Post cards of "the beautiful city" of Indianapolis whether its warm or cold there he is with out fail.

Seeing him, the verse from earlier came into my thoughts. Making the most of every opportunity. Although it isn't much I handed the guy some ones. In Ephesians it also says, 5:1-2 "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." I really wish I could physically do more for him. I did what I could though. I showed him LOVE. Sometimes that's all someone needs. As a woman I feel a little limited on what I can do. But as limited as I may be, MY GOD is LIMITLESS. That statement right there is so powerful. There is nothing that God can't do.

He can comfort the hurting, give strength to those who are broken, He loves those who hate Him, and He leads the way for the blind. He has already shown me so much already in just two days! I am so excited to see what the rest of the month has in store for my life! I have never had this much joy and peace about my life than I do right now.

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil to give you a future and a hope."

 

Comments

Popular Posts