Christian: Christ Like

What is a Christian?

By definition: a Christian is someone who is Christ like.

But are all Christians truly like Christ? I have to ask myself if I am like Christ at all times. And no, I am not. I can't be like Christ. It's impossible. I was born with a sinful nature just like all of you reading this. We lie, steal, cheat. We think thoughts that we shouldn't. We say things we shouldn't say. We are sinners. But Christ wasn't a sinner. How can I possibly be like Him?

You can't. We aren't perfect. God does tell us we are made in the image of our creator. Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Therefore, we are to strive to be like Christ. But it's so hard. We have constant pressure from the people around us to be like this world. To go out and party, to just smoke once (it won't kill you), to have sex. EVERYONE does it so it'll be okay. But will it really be okay? What do I have to lose for just giving in one time?

One time, that's all it takes to get pregnant. One time, that's all it takes to start an addiction. One time, that's all it takes to get wrapped up in a sinful lifestyle. One time, that's all it took for God to send His son to save us from spending eternity in hell.

Now why should I waste my time on "one times" that'll just be okay?

No, I'm not perfect. But God wants me to try. Not so I can fail, but so He can be there beside me along the way to remind me that I am nothing without my Creator.

To me the life of a Christian should portray Christ's. I think we (I know I did atleast) focus just on how Christ was perfect and blameless and we think we have to be perfect too. But really I think He wants us to live our lives with the love He had for those around Him. Christ showed compassion for the poor and needy. Christ healed the sick. Christ forgave the thieves and murderers. Christ loved the rich. He gave of himself to everyone around Him; judging no one.

Now that's how I want to spend my time! Not on things that are "okay" or are just fun for a moment but on the things that will last forever. That is what Christ would do.

Don't feel like you have to fit in to this world because this world did not create you.  God created this world and He created you, so try to be like Him. Just ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?"

Ephesians 5:1-2   
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

  


Comments

Popular Posts