J.O.Y.

What brings you Joy?

Is it your friends?
your job?
the things 
you want?
money?
the holidays?
your family?


As I received my holiday cup from Dunkin Donuts that question came to my mind. I immediately thought of my relationships- my family, the cheerleaders I coach, and my friends. They are what bring me Joy. But that joy is fleeting.

The past couple of months I've been in a state of limbo. I quit my job because I thought that's what God wanted me to do. I thought that by stepping out in faith He would show me what He wanted me to do right away. But that didn't happen. (Shocker: My timing is not HIS timing) It's now almost Thanksgiving and I still don't really know. Don't get me wrong. I've loved the past couple months, getting to travel and spend time with my family and focus on growing friendships that have been put on the back burner but I haven't been content. I've been searching what that next step is for me thinking that will bring me joy. 


When I was younger, I was taught what JOY is. 
Jesus
Others
You
As I have gotten older, I have lost sight of that. So much of the time I look to myself and others to bring me JOY. When to be truly joyful I need to be looking to God first. He knows what's best for me and He already has a plan. (Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.") Even though my career isn't planned out and I have no clue what my life will look like in a year, God does. And just knowing that, should give me the peace and joy I've been searching for. 

So what brings you joy? If it's relationships, your career, or other things that's okay. It's not wrong for those things to bring you joy. But remember those things aren't always there. You need to have joy in God because He will never leave you. Even when you lose sight of Him and get discouraged, He is always there. 


As we go into the Holiday Season, remind yourself of all that you do have. Remind yourself of all the joys God has given you and be thankful. Don't focus on what you don't have, focus on what you do. No, I don't know what God wants me to do for my career, but God has blessed me with the opportunity to go back to school and work at Central Christian Academy. No, I'm not in a relationship, but God has blessed me with new friends and stronger relationships with my family. It's not easy to be joyful in life, when you aren't thankful for your life.

Comments

Popular Posts